Sunday, March 4, 2012


There was this girl that I used to fight a lot with in grade school. When I say "a lot", I mean every single day. I don't exactly remember what we fought about since it's been years.  After every ridiculous fight we ever had, we hated each other even more. She thought I was obnoxious and she was just too much of a lame-ass killjoy for me. I was sure that after graduation from every level possible of my education, we would kick our "frenemy" relationship to the curb.

Ironically, we're still best friends.

Although I don't remember the reasons why we fought, I clearly remember calling her every time I knew we hurt each other. On her part, she would attempt to talk to me the next day. We chased one another. Somehow, we both wanted to be at peace with each other too. In an odd sense, it seemed like the two of us never stopped trying.

Ew, we sound like we're in a relationship.

But seriously, when I think about it now, she and I never had that whole pride bullshit a lot of people have nowadays. It makes me wonder, how come as we get older, it gets harder to apologize and even more difficult to forgive someone?

Why does pride get in the way of so many relationships when we get older? What is wrong with apologizing and trying? We could say "I'm sorry" when we were kids and answer with an, "It's alright." and make it work. We were taught that in Kindergarten. However, with the way people are going at these days, it's like we never learned anything in our formative years.

The thing with pride is that it makes mountains out of molehills. With simple things, why do we choose to let someone go instead of letting something go instead?

We get hurt, we say sorry. We forgive, we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment